Step 9- Iron Sharpens Iron


“Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.”- Wicked 

Proverbs 15:22 (ESV) Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed.

I can't explain all the ways that people's prayers, words, and presence has meant to me in both the bad and the good times.  I'm probably about to say a bunch of cliché quotes that could go on someone's bathroom wall.  However, unlike a lot of other girls, I'm not one to have a "best friend," but I haven't been with a lack of friends.  God has been so generous to bring all the people I need just at the time I needed it most.  

I can remember as a child, my mom would talk to her friends on the phone, and I assumed I would grow up and do the same.  Well I'm a full grown adult, and I rarely ever call anyone, but I've made it a goal this year to be a better friend and appreciate those around me.  I've even joined a DNA group (small group of 3-4 people that meets from church) that meets at 6:00 a.m., and I am NOT a morning person. 

Bear Each Other's Burdens 

Seek others' advice and open up to others about where you are.  I've always heard you should always have people discipling you, people walking beside you, and you should be discipling others.  The christian walk was meant to be done together, and it truly does work better that way.  Remind your friends of the truth of God's word and promises when they need it, and hopefully, they'll do the same for you.  

Sometimes people's presence means more than anything they could say.  Bear each other’s burdens by being there for them and getting on their level with them.  That could mean listening to music together, taking a walk together, or just listening to them.  You don't always have to have the solution to the problem at hand.  You just have to be there and point them to God.  

Pray Together



About a year ago, my roommates and I started to pray together at least once a week, and it's honestly been amazing.  I'm always kicking myself that we didn't start this earlier.  It's changed my personal heart, our friendship, and my life so much.  I immediately feel God enter the room every time.  We've seen Him answer things in some pretty big ways already, and I know we've only scratched the surface.  Also, sometimes it's hard to pray for yourself or even know how to start.  There is nothing like the peace that washes over you when someone else prays for you.  

...And for the record, my roommates totally rock.  I couldn't ask for better people to do life with.

James 4:16 (ESV) Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working

You should try it with those around you.  Spend time in prayer together weekly and send each other prayer requests throughout the week. Let them know when you see your prayers being answered, and share in each other’s triumphs. Share with them the promises of God in your heart and the ways you feel He is leading you. 

Matthew 18-20 (ESV): Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.  Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven.  For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”

Keep Living Life and Encourage One Another 










Enjoy life! Be realistic but hopeful.  Find ways to live in the present and enjoy yourself and the people God has placed in your life.  Life is a vapor.  You'll never be in the same exact same season and time you are in right now.  How do you want people to remember you and their time with you?  

Whenever I think about the past and the people in it, I always wish I would have enjoyed it more and let people know how much their friendships meant.  

Encourage the pursuit of God and holiness in others. Tell them when you see their joy and the evidence of them submersing themselves into a Christ center lifestyle. Review God’s faithfulness in the past as you ask Him to continue to be faithful. 

Share the goodness of what God is doing in your life and where He is leading you. Praise God for his promises and for what He has yet to do.  Trust in His sovereignty when things don’t go as expected.

How to pray for others:
Dear God, please be with ____ today.  Give me the words to pray for her.  Establish her steps and uphold her hand.  Let her feel your presence and know that you are working in her life.  Heal her spirit.  Clothe her with the robe of righteousness and the garments of salvation.  Pursue her and give her a hunger for your word.  Let her to be content in where you have her, but give her new dreams.  Move mountains for her.  I ask that the angel armies would work on her behalf.  I ask in Jesus's name that she finds her identity in you.  Provide for her a job where she can be used by you and where she thrives.  I ask that you give her favor with both God and man in her work.  I ask that you provide her with a spouse that is well suited for her, fits her personality, and who she can serve you better with.  Do more in her life than I could dare ask or imagine.  Give her opportunities to use her gifts and talents to serve you.  
In Jesus name,
Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finding Peace with God and Fighting Off Religious Strongholds

Fighting Anxiety with Worship

Introduction